abortion, clones, conformity, equality, fairness, fear, homosexuality, moral problem, NEUTRAL COLORS, politically correct, poverty in America, sexual orientation, Tolerance, true moral standard, unanimity
A Look at Today’s Political/Social Issues
“The poorest Americans today live a better life
than all but the richest persons a hundred years ago.”
James Q. Wilson, an American academic, political scientist, and an authority on public administration.
In today’s “fairness” political arena, there is a language that has developed. It is a PC language – politically correct. It is a despicable thing, because it limits FREEDOM in the name of “tolerance!” There is a horrible irony in the politically correct language that is supposed to reflect tolerance, it instead is bullying incarnate! It rewards agreement and punishes disagreement! It is defined by whatever position of power exists – and changes with the wind of political change. The sobering thing is that it’s a relatively new development in America. It’s virtually impossible to speak these days without “offending” someone about something, so our response is to remove the object of offense from our language whether it is Christmas, abstinence, or Islam.
We’ve been made afraid. We’ve been made afraid to speak up, to speak our mind on any number of issues we face today, if our opinion differs from those in positions of power. If we do not speak our mind, the argument SEEMS to be solved, but it really just simmers below the surface until the threat is lifted. The abortion argument is a perfect case in point. It never really went away like it was supposed to, it just went “underground” for a time.
Fear, my friends, is VERY telling!
We’re supposed to avoid talk of religion and politics, right? Why? Usually, the answer revolves around ruffling someone else’s feathers, upsetting the balance, the quiet, the calm. Right? Religion (or our personal belief system) and politics are our most personal thoughts, feelings, and ideals. We might even call them intimate.
- If I say I am opposed to gay-marriage, it is ASSUMED I hate gays.
- If I say I am opposed to “Obamacare,” it is ASSUMED I am unsympathetic to the needs of the poor.
Neither is accurate. I AM poor, for pete’s sake! But I am also rich! FAMILY makes us rich. FAITH makes us rich. WORK makes us rich. STRUGGLE makes us rich. HARDSHIP makes us rich in compassion. ACHIEVEMENT makes us rich. FAILURE makes us rich. INTEGRITY makes us rich. SELF-RELIANCE makes us rich.
In between the liberal position on the LEFT which is allegedly “fairness,” and their accusation of “hate-mongering” directed at certain people-groups, there is a wide expanse of options.
The REAL issue isn’t “fairness” or “equality,”
but the issue is unanimity, conformity, the making of clones!
Think about it.
- If you have a home you wish to sell, one of the first things a Realtor will tell you is … NEUTRAL COLORS, right? Whites, creams, beiges … nondescript colors with occasional “splashes” of color. CONFORM!
- The same applies to autos. If you look at the cars on the road, most are white, gold, silver … no color. CONFORM!
- More seriously, in spite of educational research, curricula is designed to “fit” only a small percentage of our students. Teachers are taught how to present materiel and then assess the student’s grasp of it by narrow questions with specific answers. No critical thought, no independent thought is encouraged. If a student offers an idea, a response different than the one asked for, it is wrong. Sometimes it is word-specific, so that even if a different WORD is used than the one issued, it is wrong. CONFORM!
We are told Religion is fine, but only within certain perimeters.
- California Couple Fined $300 for Holding Home Bible Studies CONFORM!
- Man behind anti-Muslim film gets 1 year in prison: no trial, no defense attorney CONFORM!
- Arizona Pastor Arrested, Jailed for Holding Bible Study in Home; His Wife Says It ‘Defies Logic CONFORM!
- Today is Stand with Hobby Lobby Day CONFORM!
Fifty years ago, all children were given the tools necessary to mature into responsible, productive citizens. Children with hearing or vision impairment were put into “special” schools where they were given tools to enable them to co-exist in society. Blind children were taught Braille and perhaps the use of a cane or aid-dog. Deaf children were taught sign language and often, lip-reading. Children with other different learning disabilities or mental illness were also given skills to help them be self-sufficient. That was the goal: self-sufficiency. This was the goal for ALL schools and students, to become responsible, productive citizens.
What are the goals today? We have children even graduating from the most prestigious universities with no literacy in world or American history, with sketchy reading skills, and most importantly, with little or no ability to THINK for themselves. Percent of high school graduates who can’t read in 2012 is 19%!!! But they are encouraged to participate in the “Occupy” movement! They are taught a “state ideology” (generally, Secular Humanism, which translates politically into Socialism) from Preschool through any ivy league school you choose while simultaneously, they are taught that “independent thought” is bad. But the goal is … exactly what? When 44% of college freshman don’t make it to graduation, what does that say? With a population gravitating toward government handouts instead of jobs and the benefits inherent in work, with schools that look more like high security prisons, and with a culture that is learning to FEAR freedom, what is the goal of education, of government “social justice” programs, of unanimity?
To encourage able-bodied Americans to become unwittingly enslaved to a system that encourages deeper dependence on government programs rather than encouraging independence is outrageous! THIS is a “unanimity” problem. If I can’t afford what my neighbors have, it’s “not fair! This becomes a moral problem AND a fiscal problem.
Unanimity (conformity) is NOT liberty!
- Homosexual lifestyle is now introduced to children of kindergarten age. Instead of working on academic skills, pre-reading skills, early math skills, teachers are mandated to talk about “sexual orientation” with children too young to have ever had a sexual thought! This is NOT responsible education!
In reference to gay marriage, the Bible clearly opposes homosexuality. The fact that it is ISSUE is indication that homosexuality is NOT the norm. (Gal 5: 16-21; Genesis 19:1-13) Now, here’s the rub. We, as Christians, are COMMANDED to LOVE one another, not just those with whom we agree.
We often hear the phrase, “Hate the sin, but love the sinner!” Sadly, most Americans, believers or not, have not learned how to separate a lifestyle from a person. Matthew 7 has some very specific instruction, though, for how we should interact with one another. There is NO HATE directed at the person, only any “unholy” behavior, but is homosexuality worse than gossip? or adultery? or gluttony? Perhaps harder to conquer, but sin is sin. It is NOT for us to judge, but to love! Period!
- The same applies to the poor. I believe free handouts to the poor do not serve them in any way. Jesus declared, “For you have the poor with you always, and whenever you wish you may do them good; but Me you do not have always.” (Mt 26: 11; Jn 12: 8; Mk 14:7) There will always be some people that are unable due to physical or mental challenges to maintain a job. This does not necessarily mean there isn’t something they can do to help on occasion. Our self worth as humans is determined, built, or maintained by our ability to contribute to a family, a community, or a specific situation. WORK is not an evil thing. It is a beneficial thing for humans. The Bible teaches the individual believer to share, John (the Baptist) said, Luke 3: 11-14
“11 If you have two shirts, share with the person who does not have one. If you have food, share that also.”
12 Even tax collectors came to John to be baptized. They said to him, “Teacher, what should we do?”
13 John said to them, “Don’t take more taxes from people than you have been ordered to take.
14 The soldiers asked John, “What about us? What should we do?”
John said to them, “Don’t force people to give you money, and don’t lie about them. Be satisfied with the pay you get.”
No place in there do we see anything about government or mandates. It is not government’s job or responsibility to oversee charitable donations of substance or time & talent. “For even when we were with you, we commanded you this: If anyone will not work, neither shall he eat.” (2 Thes 3:10)
- Which brings me, finally, to abortion-on-demand as paid for by public funds via Federally sponsored programs including, but not limited to Planned Parenthood. It’s OUTRAGEOUS! It has been for 40 years since the decision was rendered that was supposed to silence the opposition! Clearly, it hasn’t as over 500,000 Americans gathered in DC for the 40th Anniversary March on one of the coldest days this winter. The President’s HHS mandate has stirred up more anguish and dissension than ever. Nothing is settled because, as reminded by the Founders, any law that is not in agreement with the “Law of Nature and Nature’s God” will not stand by virtue of the very definition of Natural Law.
No one is debating the instances of rape, incest, or medical emergency. Those are NOT the procedures in debate! As a Conservative, the promiscuity that has taken over our culture via the media blitz is maddening. Our young people can’t get away from the images and ideas of sex, even if they are inclined to try to avoid them. The tools that COULD be used to bring about so much positive change are misused by those wielding liberal, unhealthy ideas of sexuality and relationship, among other things.
CONCLUSION: Though we’re not crazy, we can, as wise humans, recognize the benefits of hardship, if we trust God. We know that God uses everything that happens (there are no accidents) for our benefit but also for the benefit of others around us. We are promised “tribulations!” (Rom 8:28)
We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; 9 persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed— 10 always carrying about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body.
2 Corinthians 4:8-10
If the CHURCH (the organized institution of all Christian & Catholic congregations) was doing its job correctly, there wouldn’t be the need for any government programs to tend the needs of the poor. Even so, the job of helping those in need falls on We-the-People, the neighbors, the community … NOT the Federal government via need-oriented programs like food stamps, welfare, and medicaid! EVERYONE has something they can contribute, some talent to share, some richness to give no matter how old or young, how rich or poor, how strong or weak. Allowing each person to contribute, allows each one the blessing of giving, as well as receiving. Though it may not always FEEL like it, work and even hardship are beneficial to our human condition!
While political correctness has made huge changes within our society, we can still – that’s WE-the-PEOPLE – can still turn our great ship of state toward a more humane greatness simply with a restoration of a solid moral code that resists PC language. Political correctness comes and goes, but true moral standards stand against the tides of political debate.
“Do you have a BRAIN?
Yes? Then THINK your way out of your mess!”
There is help available, but it’s the responsibility of each individual to grow and become responsible, productive, self-reliant, and contributing Americans!