I am compelled to apologize for any words or images I have shared throughout this election season that disrespected the Office of the President or the person of Barack Obama. My intention was to make no judgement about him as a person. It is his policies that are contrary to my beliefs, and it is his policies I take issue with. That is all. His personal life and character are not for me to judge except where it affects public policy.
There has been a landslide of nasty, irresponsible ads, cartoons, and slurs from both sides, and it prompts one simple question:
What gives us the impression we deserve a more truthful,
more Constitutional government
when we cannot even engage in a civil discussion
among ourselves as neighbors, family and friends?
I suggest we have more in common than we have differences, or at the very least, we have a foundation of shared beliefs:
- We are, after all, all Americans despite what some politicians believe. We come from different nations, backgrounds, ethnicities, religions, etc, but none of those things are really issues unless someone turns a spotlight on them. We are British, French, German, Spanish, African, Russian, Jewish, and Arabs. We are Christian, Jewish, Muslim, and atheist. We are rich, poor, thin, fat, tall, short, but we are all Americans. We have been foolish to allow politicians to drive wedges between us, focusing only on our differences and ignoring the things we share.
- We all care for our children, our elderly, and the weaker among us, and seek ways and methods to help improve their lot. None of us can abide purposeless suffering and will do whatever we can to “fix” the problem. We want our children to excel in whatever they choose. We want our Seniors to have purpose right up to the end of their lives. We want to alleviate pain where we can, and comfort the suffering as best we can.
- We all feel the need to be safe in our homes, and live the life we choose, as lng as it doesn’t infringe on another’s right to do the same. We all know the world has some craziness in it, but we need to feel safe, at least in our our homes. We acknowledge that the choice between safety and freedom is an ambiguous one difficult to fathom and harder to apprehend.
- We all need to feel like we matter, like we’re a part of something noble that is much larger than we are and we have a part. We are all disappointed when we learn that “noble” something turns out to be less than perfect. This is a basic human need – to be needed or appreciated. This is the point and function of families. Each of us, ideally, has a family that provides a “safe” growing place, but we know this is not how things always play out. Nevertheless, individuals require a circle of support, in lieu of a family or in addition to it, to help in times of need, but also to be a place of giving for each one. We all – each one of us – have something of value to share with others, and it is vital to to preserve and develop our individual promise, our personal dream.
The hatred and bitterness that ripples across our land is a potentially fatal virus. Though we disagree on the “HOW” of these issues, the goal is the same for Democrats and republicans, for Liberals and Conservatives, for Libertarians, and Tea Party Patriots. We want a strong, vibrant America with productive citizenry and opportunity for every American.
- We ALL feel disenfranchised, cut off from the power, right?
- We ALL feel a horrible disappointment in the way prices continue to climb and our pay doesn’t, right?
- We ALL feel unfairly helpless as life appears to be dictated by the powerful elite in DC or Big Business, right?
- We ALL believe the goal of government, as stated in the Constitution, is to facilitate the ability of each American citizen to “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.” The attainment of happiness is up to each of us since it is different for each of us. If the men and women currently running for office are not the ones to get us to this goal, it is up to us to find the ones that can and will, and if we cannot do that, perhaps we should consider running for office.
In another week or so, we will elect the man to lead our nation for the next 4 years. Some of us will be very upset by the results and some will be content, but either way, we are ALL Americans! The hatred and divisions do not serve ANY good purpose, and only serve to divide us for easier … manipulation? I am only one person, and claim no authority but that of citizen, but still I urge any who read this to put aside the foul emotions of this election season, the name-calling and lies, and put our energy into pushing our government to actually represent OUR wishes.
Our voice is louder as we stand together!
It is extremely big of you to apologize, BUT YOU HAVE NOTHING TO APOLOGIZE
FOR. Just out of curiosity I visited a website which appeared to be Democratic and
was appalled by the hatred, venom and language. Obviously people who cannot
express their feelings,thoughts, or viewpoints in an intelligent format. Before I call it a night, just wanted you to know it is NOT you, but rather the brainwashed fanatics, who don’t verify and blindly accept what they are told. Keep up the good work.
I appreciate your support, my friend. It’s not so much myself for whom i apologize but there are a few Romney supporters that are just about as juvenile as many of the opposition. We have to walk the high road .. otherwise, we are no different! 🙂 Thanks for your encouragement!
whoops, forgot to say that I had never seen any of your writing ever attack POYUS
personally, policies yes, but not the person. I cannot imagine why anyone would have thought otherwise. Don’t forget you can’t soar with the eagles, when you listen to the turkeys
🙂 Personally, I agree, but just feel the need to be transparent … hahaha My idea of transparent is a bit different than President Obama’s!
I really find the vitrol of the left is so sickening. I have not heard any vitrol like I have seen from the left. People saying they are going to kill Romney if he wins. Can you imagine it the same was said about Obama! We should expect riots if Obama loses. All I want to say is don’t think that the right are weak. We are storng.
You have never said anything that I didn’t agree with. If you can say what you want, then all of us will lose all our freedoms one at a time. Keep of the great work. God bless
Thanks, my friend! I got tangled in a debate on facebook where a fellow Romney supporter made the flat statement, “Christians should not vote for Obama.” While I personally agree, I thought making a statement like that was, at best, poor use of words. Language like that will never persuade ANYONE to change their position … and it’s dangerous theology, IMHO! 🙂 Keep on prayin …
Sometimes people don’t think it through before they post. I have been known to do that! I know you will find that hard to believe! I want everyone to vote. To stay home and not vote because you don’t like either candidate isn’t the best thing you can do. Pick the one that is closer to your values. I had read somewhere that there were many blacks who weren’t going to vote for Obama because of his views on abortion but they weren’t going to vote for Romney because they felt that voting from Romney was going against their “own”. I hope they don’t do that. Nobody needs to know who you voted for.
I also have heard there is a large contingency in Ohio for Johnston – the libertarian. My own son-in-law has declared he isn’t voting because neither can be trusted, so yesterday, I challenged him to get himself on the next ballot, then. Get himself ready and run – straighten up DC! 😉 I told him I’m fight for him! We’ll see …
John Wilder said:
And Jesus said: “By their fruits you shall know them” and that “lying is an abomination”. I also believe in the MLK Dream Speech and judge a man not on the content of his skin but the content of his character and Obama’s character is seriously flawed. He allowed American heroes to die without sending the requested aid. He also in another act of Treason threatened to withhold active duty military pay in the budget deficit talks. He swore an oath to protect this country from enemies foreign and domestic. He has failed and committed treason in the process.
Pingback: Blogsense-By-Barb | Grumpy Opinions