Tensions are flaring! Ill-will pits neighbors against one another. Some have prophesied an approaching Civil War. I want to propose a different kind of CIVIL WAR … a War of CIVILITY! I propose as adults, we begin to think and act like adults and exercise the abstract rules of Civility that were built into the foundation of our nation, and were an active part of our culture well into the 20th Century. They’re COMMON SENSE rules like in “George Washington’s Rules of Civility & Decent Behavior in Company and Conversation.” While some of these rules seem silly and outdated, consider the motivation behind the rule as you browse through the list!
Picking and fighting accomplishes little in the way of productivity. I suspect, President Obama and his supporters are using the negative spin to distract voters from the real issues, like a few other distractions. So we can allow ourselves to be distracted and join them in the school yard, OR we can behave like responsible adults, rebuff the angry insults with TRUTH spoken clearly and with CIVILITY. The lower they stoop, the more obvious the TRUTH will appear. It’s worth the effort, anyway. I don’t know about you, but I don’t enjoy anger! Let them be the angry ones and we can be the kind ones!
Here are a few to start with:
- 1st Every Action done in Company, ought to be with Some Sign of Respect, to those that are Present.
- 20th The Gestures of the Body must be Suited to the discourse you are upon.
- 22nd Show not yourself glad at the Misfortune of another though he were your enemy.
- 40th Strive not with your Superiors in argument, but always Submit your Judgment to others with Modesty.
- 48th Wherein you reprove Another be unblameable yourself; for example is more prevalent than Precepts.
- 65th Speak not injurious Words neither in Jest nor Earnest Scoff at none although they give Occasion.
- 70th Reprehend not the imperfections of others for that belongs to Parents Masters and Superiors.
- 110th Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire called conscience.
I believe this is important to the restoration of our nation. Here are a few related articles. Speak your mind!