University of Pittsburgh offers $10,000 reward
after bomb threats
Friday, March 30, 2012
By Sadie Gurman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The University of Pittsburgh is offering a reward of as much as $10,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of anyone responsible for six bomb threats on the campus in a little more than two weeks.
The latest was today. A bomb threat prompted an evacuation of the Cathedral of Learning this morning.
The university’s emergency notification system informed students of the threat about 10:15 a.m, warning them to leave the 42-story building.
That was the same warning they received on Wednesday evening, when university officials were notified of a threat scrawled in a woman’s restroom.
Earlier that morning, Pitt’s Chevron Science Center was cleared after a threat was discovered there.
Previous threats to the Cathedral of Learning were written in a men’s bathroom, prompting the university to remove the stall doors in some of the restrooms and bolster security in the building.
Officials said after the third bomb threat last week that they had identified a “person of interest” in the crimes but would not elaborate. The FBI is assisting in the investigation.
The false alarms have brought both fear and annoyance, disrupting classes and drawing police. Each incident drives hundreds of students and faculty from the building, which closes for hours while police check it for explosives.
A university spokesman said officials have pledged to prosecute anyone responsible to the “fullest extent of the law.”
The university publicized the reward today via its emergency notification system.
Pitt said it could split the reward among multiple sources of information.
Officers in a news release urged “any witness who was in the areas on the dates and at the times of the threats and observed these threats being made or with information about who made these threats” to call campus police at 412-624-2121.