Few things touch my heart more than tales surrounding Veterans, and few things hinder a veterans’ re-entry more than a feeling of isolation. The men and women who served our nation honorably, but returned to find their lives upside down and inside out. Under the best circumstances, service overseas is a challenge. The service member is separated from friends and family and deposited in a location and culture different than the USA. Most times, the nationals speak a different language. Add to that the stress of being deployed to an active “war zone,” or even an “unfriendly” locale, and the separations are accentuated. Time passes while the service member is away. There are social changes and political changes they must deal with as they re-enter the USA.
Whether these vets serve minimum length tours of two – three years active duty or a lifetime (20 – 30 years), it is my opinion that these men and women deserve the very best! The best medical care, the best psychiatric care, the best “re-entry” care, and the best long-term support care should be available. I don’t necessarily mean everything should be handed to them, but these people made huge sacrifices for the sake of our nation. It seems only fair and just for the nation to help them any way it can.
That said, I’d like to offer some ideas, some ways to help veterans.
1. On the right margin of my blog, there is a button to click to support homeless vets. It’s easy and costs you NOTHING! So … Just do it! Click everyday and feed or house a homeless vet with each click!
2. NEW PTSD ANDROID, IPHONE APPS HELP U.S. SOLDIERS SUFFERING FROM POST-WAR AFFLICTIONS How cool is this? Check it out!
3. There are many more ideas and ways to help HERE!
4. HORSES FOR HEROES COWBOY UP!
5. Check out your local Veterans organizations and GET INVOLVED! They’re everywhere!